Postdoc Detector Development
80% or more, flextime | Villigen (Switzerland)
Salary is not negotiable (determined by salary system)
Your new role
Embedded in a cross-disciplinary English-speaking team in the Photon Science Detector Group, you help develop the next generation of single-photon counting pixel detectors. Your responsibilities include testing detector prototypes, interpreting data, and collaborating with colleagues to enhance the chip design. You participate in experiments and beamtimes to characterize and optimize single-photon counting detectors. You support us in characterizing detectors with sensors for specific applications, for example, LGADs for soft X-rays and high-Z materials for high energies.
Curious about project details? Please reach out to Anna Bergamaschi, PhD, at +41 56 310 32 27.
You are interested in this 2-year postdoctoral fellowship? Please apply by 28 June 2021 and include a list of your publications and references with their contact details. The index no. for this position is 6131-00.
This job is for you if
- You are looking forward to supporting us with your PhD knowledge in physics, electronic engineering, or a related field.
- You have a working knowledge of readout electronics for X-ray detection.
- You feel comfortable coding in C++ or Python.
- You enjoy sharing ideas and taking the initiative in your work.
Join the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences in Switzerland! At the Paul Scherrer Institute, people come together from across the globe to collaborate on ground-breaking research in different fields. Our mission: to find sustainable solutions to fundamental questions facing society, science, and the economy.
People from multicultural backgrounds and as many as 60 nations work together at the PSI, enriching the local culture with a cosmopolitan way of life. One in four of our 2,100 staff are completing their vocational training, post-doctoral or post-graduate studies. To foster professional and personal growth for all, we have created a diverse research environment that promotes inclusion and equal opportunities at all levels. These values inform our hiring process.
What we offer
- A minimum of 5 weeks of paid annual leave and a loyalty bonus every 5 years
- Daycare on site and generous child and education allowances
- Above-mandatory paid leave for parents-to-be
- Tailored personal-development opportunities and advice for dual career partners of PSI employees
- Above-mandatory occupational benefits, accident insurance, and paid sick leave that includes recovery from accident injuries
Our Recruitment process
Step 1 – Apply online, and we'll confirm right away.
Step 2 – If we feel you could be a good fit, we'll invite you to join us for an interview at PSI.
Step 3 – To learn more about each other, you will meet with our selection committee and human resources management. We give feedback soon after.
Step 4 – Should we have more questions, we'll request a second interview or contact references. We give feedback soon after.
Step 5 – Once we have a unanimous decision, we'll offer you a contract!
Paul Scherrer Institut, Forschungsstrasse 111, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, https://www.psi.ch